This page looks different to our usual site because it is from our back catalogue. More recent articles are here.


Blue Hors sires to dominate Danish warmblood licensing

January 26, 2008

Andreas Helgstrand riding the stallion Blue Hors Romanov who has sired 20% of the three year old colts forward for the stallion licensing at Herning this year.

Denmark's 29th warmblood stallion licensing is excpected to be dominated by the top performance sires.

The breeding committee has pre-selected 50 colts for the show at Herning on March 13-16, with another 17 added who have qualified through their approvals at foreign stallion licensings. Head of breeding committee Poul Graugaard reports that Blue Hors Romanov has sired 10 of the young colts - 20% of the three year olds. Nine of these have been pre-selected by the breeding committee and the son Red Rebel has already been approved in Oldenburg.

Blue Hors Don Schufro ridden by Andreas Helgstrand at Herning in 2003 when the stallion was proclaimed Danish warmblood stallion of the year.

The Devil's Horsemen

Jean-François Pignon

Anky van Grunsven

The Elite stallion Blue Hors Don Schufro, currently competing in international Grand Prix dressage under Andreas Helgstrand, is represented by four sons and these also demand some attention in the light of their sire's success. Don Schufro has already sired 13 approved sons, whilst four of his daughters and at least four of his grand-daughters have been awarded gold medals at mare grading.

The stallions Milan and De Noir are also once again amongst the most well-represented producers for the stallion licensing with, respectively, four and three sons pre-selected. Reflecting the breakdown of disciplines within Danish Warmblood breeding, almost 75% of all the colts forward are of dressage bloodlines with the remaining 25% having jumping pedigrees.

In the jumping division, the breeding committee will have before them sons of such internationally renowned stallions as Diamant de Semilly, For Pleasure, Argentinus, Lordanus, Embassy I and Graf Top, bloodlines that have not been available directly to Danish breeders through Danish-based stallions before. This year's collection of young stallions thus represents a wide range of options for breeding top quality horses and because of this "The breeding committee has extremely positive expectations for the crop of colts forward this year," Poul Graugaard says.

Every single exhibition hall of the trade centre in Herning is now taken up at The Danish Warmblood stallion licensing, which had 53,000 visitors last year. The programme also includes the world famous Gala Shows on both the Friday and Saturday evenings as well as three different world class special events.

In 2007 The Devil's Horsemen played to fully packed houses in their first appearance at Herning. The Devil's Horsemen are based in England where they train their 200 stunt horses to perform in films worldwide. In Herning they will show a selection of 20 horses performing in a variety of exciting roles.

Winner of the WEG Freestyle in Aachen in 2006, Anky van Grunsven also recently won the World Cup Qualifier at Olympia Horseshow in London with her new freestyle. Anky has been at the top of international dressage for two decades and together with her trainer/husband Sjef Janssen she has developed some of the most controversial but successful training methods in the world. At this clinic the audience will be able to see for themselves what is involved and then make up their own minds.

The incredible horseman Jean-François Pignon is now almost a regular at Herning where his magical performances are always received with the greatest applause. Pignon will show his own horses in freestyle dressage and he will also attempt to train an unschooled horse that is unknown to him. The busy Frenchman will also take part in both of the Gala Shows.

Furthermore, the Danish Young Horse Championship, which is the final for the best five-year-old riding horses, will also be held at Herning and a further highlight of the programme will be the auction of three year old colts and young riding horses. Alongside all these exciting activities there are, as always, the new products and special sale offers to be found in the Horse & Rider trade show and tack fair where 175 booths occupy 18,000 square metres of trade stand space.



Affiliate disclaimer