Deworm debunk: Why confining horses after deworming doesn’t make sense

Parasitologist Martin Nielsen debunks the “tradition” of confining horses in the days after deworming.

“We have to remember that the worms that come out after deworming are actually dead.

“The eggs and larvae that come out with the feces and contaminate the pasture, are the infective stages.”

So keeping horses confined after deworming “doesn’t really make sense”, he says.

Got something to say about this? You can comment below.

Follow the Gluck Center: @GluckEquineResearchCenter or on Twitter @UKGluckCenter.

Follow Martin Nielsen on Twitter.

Visit Martin Nielsen’s Network for Good page, and his University of Kentucky page.

5 thoughts on “Deworm debunk: Why confining horses after deworming doesn’t make sense

• November 12, 2019 at 10:32 am

We confine our horses after de-worming with Ivermectin as the chemical kills our precious dung beetles.

• December 4, 2019 at 1:19 am

Hi Nicole,

Yes, that is correct. Ivermectin does have a significant effect on the dung fauna, and that is actually one valid argument for keeping horses confined following deworming – perhaps the only one, really. But nonetheless an important one. Interestingly, moxidectin, which belongs to the same drug class as ivermectin and therefore has the same mode of action, does not affect dung beetles and other free-living critters nearly as much.

Sincerely,

Martin K Nielsen

• November 12, 2019 at 12:42 pm

I have always thought that! Thank goodness some sense!

• November 13, 2019 at 4:37 am

If I give a dose of Ivermectin then I do confine them for 24 hours and do mucking 3’s that day as I do not want to kill the birds that live in my area as they love to pick through the manure.

I give an herbal wormer for 5 nights on the full moon then a 1/2 dose of Ivermectin

• December 4, 2019 at 1:22 am

Hi Jessica,

Ivermectin does not kill birds. But it does kill dung beetles and other free-living critters. See my response to Nicole above.

Also, do not deworm with a half dose. Always dose correctly. I do have another video on deworming with half doses.

Sincerely,