12-year-old barrel racer dies in rodeo accident

A young barrel racer in the US has died after being trapped under her horse as they finished a competition in Missouri.

Kalee Chandler, 12, was competing in a barrel race at a rodeo in Adrian on Saturday night when her horse suffered a fatal heart attack after heading for the finish line and crashing into a gate, a witness said.

The accident comes only three months after the fatal accident of pro barrel racer Lara Dewees, 27, who died after an accident in Mississippi.

Kaylee, from Butler, Missouri, was pinned under the horse until it was able to be moved. Paramedics performed CPR before Kaylee was taken by ambulance to Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City.

The youngster remained on life support in intensive care until she died on Monday afternoon.

The rodeo Kaylee had been competing in was to benefit veterans on Armed Forces Day.

Kalee Chandler is survived by her parents, Wade and Kasey Chandler and grandparents Wesley and Janie Chandler and Jerry and Marsha Ours.

Funeral arrangements are being handled by the Mullinax Funeral Home of Butler.

Horsetalk.co.nz

Latest research and information from the horse world.

9 thoughts on “12-year-old barrel racer dies in rodeo accident

• May 25, 2016 at 3:15 am

I wonder if wearing a helmet would have made a difference.

• May 25, 2016 at 8:22 am

A helmet will protect you when you are under the horse

• May 25, 2016 at 12:02 pm

That’s what I’ve been wondering and trying to figure out.

• May 25, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Her horse had a heart attack and fell on her, lack of a helmet was not the issue nor would it have made a difference. Instead of trying to open a can of worms how about you just show respect and send condolences and prayers to the family while they deal with this tragic loss.

• May 26, 2016 at 1:55 am

How about you show some respect and quit lashing out at people like that. They were just wondering if a helmet would have made a difference. I’ve been wondering about that myself and that doesn’t mean I’m not showing respect or sending my condolences. Of course it was a tragic accident but both the girl and the parents knew about the danger that came with this sport and were willing to take the risk. A helmet might’ve helped, might’ve not helped, we’ll probably never know.

• May 26, 2016 at 4:51 pm

So true. There are “types” that simply don’t wish to know. I feel it honors the child’s memory to learn from the tragedy. If wearing a helmet would have helped we woulda all benefit from knowing. How tragic either way. You cannot help but feel sad.

• May 26, 2016 at 3:01 am

Yes I agree, things happen when riding and we take the chance always when we get on. I am so sorry for the family. May God give them peace.

• April 6, 2019 at 5:42 pm

I agree a helmet would not help her under the deadweight of a horse.

• May 26, 2016 at 10:18 am

In Kalee’s case, a helmet would NOT have helped. She was pinned under Sarely and suffered a collapsed lung amongst other internal injuries. It was simply a freak accident and I pray that her family and friends can find comfort in knowing how much the equine world supports them.