Oklahoma’s Rudy is on the comeback trail

Rudy faces months of recovery, but should live a long and full life.
Rudy faces months of recovery, but should live a long and full life. Photo: Blaze’s Tribute Equine Rescue Inc/Facebook

An Oklahoma horse fighting back from horrific injuries is making great strides and soaking up all the attention given to him, the charity caring for him reports.

Rudy has already proved himself to be a great equine battler, surviving a terrible ordeal as the New Year began.

He survived for many hours hopelessly tangled in a barbed wire fence, and suffered terrible injuries, apparently from other animals chewing on him.

His ears had been chewed off and he had also lost his eyelids. There were other wounds and injuries, including a fractured jaw, requiring attention.

Rudy was signed over to the Oklahoma City Animal Welfare Division and taken for urgent veterinary care. He was soon after placed in the care of Blaze’s Tribute Equine Rescue Inc.

Rudy is now making progress in his recovery, watched by a legion of fans who have donated more than $US20,000 in a fundraising drive.

In her latest update, Natalee Cross, of Blaze’s Tribute Equine Rescue, said Rudy had received a followup visit from Dr Charlotte Kin, with Exclusive Equine Veterinary Services, during which his wounds were cleaned up and debrided.

“We had to make sure to remove any dead tissue, so that he can continue to heal and granulate healthy tissue,” Cross reports.

“He is progressing wonderfully. We now have both eyes uncovered, which he is very happy about. You can tell how much he appreciated having full vision again.

“Dr Kin believes that she will be able to repair his eyelids. Of course, we’re not quite at that stage yet, but that is in his future. So far, no sign of infection!”

Rudy is starting to show his feisty side, showing some fight when Cross went to put ointment in his eyes.

“I have to admit, while I was struggling to doctor him, I had to take a moment to laugh, as he wanted me to know that he was feeling good. His feisty side is starting to show, which is great,” she said.

“I am so happy with his progress. He looks wonderful and feels wonderful too. He even took a little jog in the yard the other day.”

Cross again offered her thanks to those who have supported Rudy.

“I tell him every day that he is more loved than he will ever know, from people all over the world.

“If this sweet boy never felt the love before, he is probably overwhelmed with it now. He soaks up all the attention he can get. This sweet guy is a true love bug. He can’t get enough of me scratching under his chin. And, he enjoys putting his face on my chest and scratching himself.

“He has a lot of personality and he makes me smile everyday.

“I have said this before, and I will continue to say it, this boy is an amazing fighter and has a very strong will to survive. I have read numerous comments and emails from everyone and one of the things some are concerned with is his quality of life.

“He will have a full and amazing quality of life, once he fully heals. The only thing that he will lack, is his ears. Many horses, cows, dogs, cats, etc live happy lives without their ears. That is merely a cosmetic issue and has no bearing on his quality of life.

“He has full vision, he has full hearing, he is sound and healthy, despite his current status. I just don’t understand why so many felt that he wasn’t worth the fight and the quick easy answer was to put him down.

“Those that know me know that I always root for the underdog. I always say, if God leads me to it, he will lead me through it.

“I am in this for the long haul with Rudy. If it takes six months for him to heal, that is fine. I will doctor him everyday until he is better. I made a commitment to Rudy and thank God that I did!”

Horsetalk.co.nz

Latest research and information from the horse world.

10 thoughts on “Oklahoma’s Rudy is on the comeback trail

• January 10, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Please look after your horses, several times a day. Not to let them lay down in barbwire for hours. Roaming packs of dogs, take a long gun and clean up the problem. If one cares for their dogs, as I do, they will be at home, in the house. Not savaging other animals. This is a revolting tale, from all aspects. No innocents, except the horse.

• January 10, 2015 at 8:48 pm

I’m all for saving animals in need, but how many painful surgeries is this poor guy going to have to go through before he can lead a ‘normal’ and full life? Even if I had unlimited resources, I can’t say I would do the same. As much as you want to save an animal, sometimes euthanasia is much kinder.

• January 11, 2015 at 12:27 am

Why tell me why , he communicates with his ears. Poor guy loads off pain because people think he is sad , dont let him live he is dead better then this poor guy

• January 11, 2015 at 1:04 am

Poor poor animal! Why making him better?
    For the good name of wellness for animals?
    Come on! This horse is suffering. Lots of money trown away. For an suffering poor animal. Never able to use his ears? What kind of animal loving is this? Its just for the name of animal wellfare.

My advice? Stop trowing away the money. Put him down, so he has less suffering!
    When are people getting to use their brains instead of their harts?

Poor poor animal.

• January 11, 2015 at 6:17 am

GOD BLESS YOU, RUDY…and KEEP FIGHTING..!! Thanks to the people who are helping to heal Rudy and giving him a voice..!

• January 11, 2015 at 9:42 am

Congrats to all who have tirelessly worked to help this one in a million hero. His determination and will to live should stand as a reminder to us all yes miracles do happen. We’re all watching one unfold right here good luck brave soldier I salute you.

• January 11, 2015 at 9:44 am

From New Zealand

• January 11, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Why, for the love of God, was this horse not put down? For one, horses communicate for a large part with their ears, and second, how much pain will this guy have to endure?

No, I can’t be enthusiastic about this even though it’s all good intentions.

• January 12, 2015 at 2:59 am

The story clearly states that his issues are ONLY cosmetic. He can see completely and hear completely and will have NO ill effects from his treatment. From this story he sounds like he’s full of life, he’s fighting them now… he’s happy and wants to just be a horse. Let him be a horse. If something like this happened to my animals and they could live a life free from pain after healing, and live a totally normal life… why would I not allow my animals to live? It is the same for this horse. Good luck Rudy, hopefully you have a speedy recovery!

• January 20, 2015 at 12:16 pm

People keep saying to put the horse down, because why he is useless? that’s like putting a child down because they have no fingers are eyes and cant hear and cant communicate. Its the same difference. Glad some people do still have hearts and aren’t worried about the money they will have to “waste” as some people are saying. Thank yall for the support of this horse! Yall are a true blessing!