Up to 30 horses escaped an early-morning barn fire in Nebraska after an alert neighbor sounded the alarm.
The blaze began shortly after midnight on Monday at Still Waters Ranch, near Hickman, in Lancaster County.
The 13,600-square-foot building was extensively damaged in a fire authorities believe was caused by an electrical fault. Damage has been estimated at up to $US300,0000.
The blaze began in the front section of the barn, where a tack room was located.
A neighbor working on his house saw the blaze around 1.40am and bashed on the door, waking 23-year-old Laura Stueck, the daughter of the property’s owners, Arnie and Char Cole.
The building was rapidly being engulfed in flames.
The horses were able to walk out of the barn into the attached paddocks, with Stueck and her husband taking them further away for safety.
Local media report that the family intends to rebuild the complex. The ranch is used for lessons and runs summer camps.