Bill and his treatment from broken knees


Patient: Bill, anglo-arab gelding, aged 21.

7 January, 2000: Bill stumbled on the road and fell on the gravel, gashing his nearside knee quite badly. His offside knee and fetlock were also opened, but nowhere as bad as the nearside. He did not fall right over, but righted himself and got back up with rider still on board. Walked home about two miles.

Vet came about 30 minutes after injury. Gave local anaesthetic and stitched gaping nearside knee with three holding stitches and six dissolving stitches. Knee was bandaged.

The vet put wound powder (black stuff that looked like gunpowder) on to the offside knee and fetlock.

Too busy cleaning, holding, and waiting for vet to take proper before pictures … but trust me, it was pretty ugly, and deep. The wound went right down to the ligaments.

Vet asked if he had raced, and remarked that he looked “very well cared for” (if only he knew how well!). He was amazed to learn that Bill is 21.

7 Jan

8-10 January: Put manuka honey on the offside wounds. Both legs very swollen, above knee and right down cannons. Bandage stayed on as per instructions from vet.

11 January: Got Colloidal Silver, plus some special wound cream (containing zinc, cod liver oil, comfrey, sulphur, beeswax and strong Colloidal Silver). Decided to redress bandaged leg as it had slipped slightly (although in the pictures he is not standing on even ground – nearside downhill) and he was looking uncomfortable and kept snuffling at it.

The wound was quite smelly (understandable) and a little mucky with pus — not huge amounts, but thick pale stuff.

Below pictures are before starting Collodial Silver treatment. Note the swelling above his knee. (the scar below the offside knee is years old).

The swelling above the knee is quite marked in this picture, plus shows where the bandage was. (Compare this picture to the one taken 16 hours later, below).

12 January: These pictures taken about 6pm.

The boy himself.

The picture below shows a huge improvement in the swelling, and the stitched wound looks a lot better. Hardly any weeping.

The offside knee looks a bit blah because of the pale-coloured cream that has been placed on it. There is only a light amount of runny liquid coming from it … where it reopens when the knee is bent as he walks. Still looks a little swollen, but improved.

13 January: Below pictures taken at 10am.


Surprising improvement again in this knee — knitting very well, especially on right (of picture) side. Improvement again in swelling, although it is still puffy around the stitched area.


If it was not for the “holes”, you’d hardly know there was anything wrong with this leg. Knee area has returned almost to normal.


Bill himself. The swelling is hardly noticeable from the front. He is still walking gingerly and taking care of himself.

That’s what I thought until I spied him having a little trot and a short canter in his paddock … seems he’s worse when he sees me watching him!

Week two

14 January: The bandage was around his fetlock this morning, and his offside knee had some blood around it — no doubt from last night’s little activity.

Things are looking pretty good otherwise; although the inside stitch on the nearside leg has not held, and there is a little “hole” there.

Decided to leave the bandage off for a few hours to see how it went. He is still walking stiffly, especially in the back, no doubt due to the fall.

We’ve decided to leave the bandage off as the wound is keeping clean (he still has not been able to roll/lie down).

This afternoon Bill was checked out by Anne Tocker, who is an equine massage therapist. As Bill is still too sore in front (and behind) for a full checkover, Anne gave him some McLaren’s Photonic Therapy (which is like acupuncture with a laser rather than needles) on some key points, plus around the wound area.

Anne also recommended Apis Mellifica, a homoeopathic remedy which we hope will decrease the swelling. There’s still filling below the knee on the stitched side. If Apis works for Bill, we should see some progress in the morning.

Ongoing: Anne will continue to give Bill the McLaren’s therapy; Bill has been getting Collodial silver on his stitched knee, and same on the offside knee and fetlock, along with the special cream above.

15 January: Bill’s in good spirits this morning. I think the swelling around the cut has gone down slightly. I can see where one of the main holding stitches has not held, and where another of the dissolving stitches has also not held. Probably because he is moving around more.

The wound appears to be healing from either side, with a hole in the middle.

This evening the swelling has gone down even more. He’s very chipper. The hole where the stitch did not hold is quite deep, but is healing and is clean.

Anne Tocker will be giving more photonic therapy tomorrow.

16 January: The nearside knee actually looked worse this morning, but it is obvious it is healing up. Little sign of swelling.

Anne thought the swelling had gone down considerably, and while the wound had opened it was not offensive, no discharge. Walking normally, other than one stumble in the off-fore.

Anne zapped the McLarens around his wounds again, and is pleased with the progress.

We took the large holding stitches out tonight.

17 January:

This morning Bill is moving well. The wound looks quite open, but is healing well. There was blood running down it, but that could have happened if he lay down. Billy is constantly licking at it, and has nibbled off the congealed bits on the outside.


18 January:

The offside leg (below) is looking very good.

Bill’s a little more active; saw him having a trot and canter up the hill last night, and he’s also moving a lot better.


The nearside leg looks much the same as last night. I put some wound powder on it, but he rubbed it off.

19 January: Both legs are looking good today. The offside is making excellent progress. The nearside is only now beginning to scab up … not helped by the fact that Bill can’t leave it alone.

We’re considering bandaging it again so he will stop playing with it. Otherwise, it’s drying out nicely.

It was quite bright this morning, so I had to lighten the pictures up quite a bit.


Bill is looking a picture of health, although he has lost a little muscle tone in the rump area.

Week 3-5/day 26+

1 February: 26 days after the fall.

We were away this week but Bill was watched over by Anne Tocker and Lisa James.

On our arrival back Bill was very talkative and bright, and happy to see us. Usually we get the cold shoulder for a few days first!

During our time away I had a reading on Bill done by Gerald Spain. I have ordered several minerals for Bill to counter free radical damage, including lots of Vitamin C, and Vitamins A and E, and he will also be on anti-oxidents, including a course of Nature’s Sunshine Grapine Combination with Protectors. We’re also giving 5ml of Selenium every three days for two weeks.

Bill’s leg is showing no signs of infection, which I believe is thanks to the Colloidal Silver. We are also applying Negasunt, a powder containing sulphimilimide which also repels flies and other bugs.

Otherwise, in the past week Bill has had:

  • An Apis tablet, which decreased the swelling to a minimum
  • Colloidal Silver applied to wounds daily
  • Photonic therapy by Anne Tocker one day
  • McLarens treatment on 30 January, and a tone-up of meridian points, by Anne.

The offside leg has healed very nicely. The nearside is filling up.

Bill is in fine spirits and really is back to his normal self. Enjoying (as usual) the extra attention and food!.

Bill is having 50ml of Colloidal Silver internally, from today, for 10 days, on the advice of Sue Fowler.

2 February: Happy horse, on the improve.


3 February: Things are looking good.
The size of the nearside wound has decreased. He still plays with it occasionally, but not as often as before.

Each day Bill is getting:

  • application of Colloidal Silver twice daily on both knees
  • Sue’s wound cream on the offside knee twice daily
  • Negasunt on the nearside knee
  • Internally: 50ml Colloidal Silver; powdered kelp; powdered vitamin C; Super Supplemental miltivitamin (2x daily); 3 Grapine tablets 3x daily; powdered garlic; salt; green tea.

4 February: The nearside wound is noticeably smaller from earlier in the week, and is scabbing over nicely.

The offside is not a worry at all.









After having a bath and cleaning up his own dinner, Bill tucks into his paddock mate’s tea. (Nothing wrong with his appetite!)

5 February:

Looking good, no comment.

6 February:

Nothing new to report on from yesterday. Someone is getting very bored hanging around the paddock …

7 February:

All is well. He’s had a bit of a play with it, but has not broken the surface. Today Bill had some photonic therapy with Anne Tocker, as a general tone-up.

8 February:


9 February: Bill had some more McLaren’s therapy with Anne. He is not sore, but is having a general tone-up every couple days, concentrating on the points beneficial to the major organs: liver, kidneys, stomach (and intestines), bladder, and heart (and blood pressure) pressure.

It should give him a general “nice” feeling. (The day before yesterday he went very sleepy and relaxed, but today was quite playful throughout).

Later on today I noticed he’d played with or rubbed the nearside knee, and there was some fresh blood on it.

10 February:


11 February:

Week 6

12 February: 36 days after the fall.

13 February:

Looking good this morning, main wound smaller.

14 February:


Week 7+

(Most recent picture and text at top)

April 2:

26 March:

The straight-on picture did not come out, but here are both knees from the side, with Old Mac’s Boots on.

The worst knee is healing really well, and the other is barely noticeable. So no complaints there.

After pulling off Bill’s front shoes and giving him a trim, we were finally able to go out all togged up with the right knee and fetlock boots and Old Mac’s Boots horse boots.

It took only a minute for Bill to get used to the Old Mac’s — these are a boot that fit right over the hoof — and I was impressed with the way he strode out in them. We did not venture too far as it was the first time out, but he felt great. Quite different, and he walked out confidently.





Bill inspects his new boots.



All geared up and raring to go.


19 March:

Had a short, easy ride yesterday, but we’re waiting for the farrier to come again, so did not do too much as Bill has a lot of toe.

Looking back on the pictures from one month ago, and from two months ago, it’s easy to see how well he has healed.


11 March:

Two rides in a row! Bill has been quite eager to get out, and is happy enough to take it easy. The only problem today was the knee boots rubbed his knee, so I will have to get some custom made.

Otherwise all well.

4 March:
The offside knee is full healed and all that’s left is for the hair to grow back. The nearside is well sealed.

We’re applying Colloidal Silver twice daily to the nearside knee, and adding a Healing Cream once a day, or once every day and a half.

The size of this wound is also decreasing rapidly.

Yesterday we had our first ride. Finally. Bill was raring to go, but we kept to a walk. Our biggest problem is the protective gear — the boots. The knee boots we bought are not going to do the job; they’re too inflexible.

Instead we used some skateboarder’s knee pads, which worked pretty well, except the elastic will have to be replaced.

25 February:

In the past week the main wound has dried well … looking back on the past couple of weeks it was quite raw. However, we are using a new Healing Cream, which contains:

  • Colloidal silver 50ppm
  • Cod Liver Oil
  • Zinc
  • Castor Oil
  • Calendula extract
  • Emulsifiers

I put that on last Monday night … and was surprised to notice a difference the very next day, in that it was no longer weeping and there were no raw bits.

Last Friday (16 Feb) Bill was also paid a visit by animal communicator Bill Northern. Bill’s (the horse) diet is fine, but he was complaining about having not been ridden for a long time! Bill N also suggested a sore area running from Bill’s off-hind rump right down toward the gaskin. Plus, he wants his hind hoof on that side to have a little more height on the outside. As a yearling he completely sliced off about an eighth of the hoof, including the coronet.

Otherwise, Bill N reported a happy enough horse, although he was complaining about not enough lucerne.

I feel that Bill will be well ready to go for a gentle ride in about another week, as the worst knee should by then be well sealed.

On 15 Feb Bill was reshod by the farrier, who recommended wide-webbed Malaysian shoes to give Bill more support. As he ages Bill’s toes tend to get longer and his heels more contracted, so the Malaysian shoes have been hot-shod wider than Bill’s hoof, to encourage the hooves out a little.

We are also looking forward to trying Old Mac’s Boots, a shoeing alternative which is a boot which fits around the hoof. His shoes will have to be removed before we try these boots, which will absorb concussion and hopefully be more comfortable.

19 February: 43 days after.

Here is today’s picture.

Footnote: after having to change farriers several times, not being able to get them when needed, and most leaving far, far too much toe, we have now doing it ourselves.

First published on on 13 January, 2001

Latest research and information from the horse world.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.