Bertram Allen has only just turned 19 but has been named among a squad of five showjumpers for Ireland’s team to the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games in Normandy.
Allen added the prestigious Longines Grand Prix at the Dublin Horse Show on Sunday to his growing list of wins this season, riding Molly Malone V to victory in the feature class.
His win added to the success of Irish riders at the Dublin event, as well as Hickstead in Britain earlier in the month, giving selectors plenty of options.
The squad of five riders, in alphabetical order, is:
- Bertram Allen with Ballywalter Farms’s Molly Malone V
- Cameron Hanley with Eleonore Paschoud and Yves Bouvier’s Antello Z
- Darragh Kenny with Hyperion Stud’s Imothep
- Denis Lynch with Thomas Straumann’s All Star 5
- Conor Swail with Ariel and Susan Grange’s Lansdowne
Horse Sport Ireland Show Jumping High Performance Manager Robert Splaine will select four combinations from this group of five to make up the team for the Games.
Last week an Irish team finished sixth in the Nations Cup event at Dublin, with Kenny and Allen making their team debut. Both went clear in the first round. Splaine said at the time that it was a trial for the World Equestrian Games, and “some significant facts emerged”.
The showjumping competition at WEG takes place from September 1 to September 7.