US rider Laura Kraut won the Longines Beijing Equestrian Masters at the “Bird’s Nest” national stadium at the weekend, just pipping Germany’s Christian Ahlmann.
Nine of the 35 riders, including five from China riders, had jumped clear over Frank Rothenberger course to reach the jump-off, in front of about 10,000 spectators.
Kraut triumphed with U-Prova, whom she jumped round the course at breakneck speed. Last year’s winner, Jos Lansink, from Belgium, didn’t make the jump-off having picked up eight faults in the first round.
The international riders competed on borrowed mounts due to the quarantine regulations in China (horses can enter the country, but are not allowed to leave again).
Grand Prix Longines Beijing Equestrian Masters
1. Laura Kraut (USA) on U-Prova, 0 / 37.46
2. Christian Ahlmann (GER) on Cinetto, 0 / 38.97
3. Xiaokelatiabayi (CHN) on Ukendy, 0 / 43.99
4. Zhu Meimei (CHN) on Cheval de Blanc, 0 / 44.10
5. Kenneth Cheng (HKG) on Chairman V, 4 / 37.19
8. Ludger Beerbaum (GER) on Lilliom, 4 / 40.07
9. Marco Kutscher (GER) on Quentino, 11 / 54.03